Roy's Lasagna

Does lasagna make anyone else think of Garfield...? Or is it just me?  Well either way, making lasagna has always intimidated me, even though I love to eat it! And I'm not a big fan of the huge frozen dishes that take 3 hours to bake, but are still cold in the middle no matter what. So I finally opened my cook book and conquered my fear.  It's officially called 1981 Roy's Lasagna.  My mom knows who Roy is...but I don't, (I was born in '86...maybe that has something to do with it). All I know is that he has one heck of a lasagna recipe. As always, I made the whole recipe (which could feed a hungry family of 6) and so I still have some in the freezer for another time.


Meat Filling:
4 Tbsp oil
1 Tbsp finely chopped garlic
1 lg onion chopped
1 3/4 lb ground chuck
1 lb sausage
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1 bay leaf
2 tsp sugar
salt to taste
15 oz tomato sauce
28 oz plum tomatoes
6 oz tomato paste
1 cup water
 Saute onion and garlic in oil.  Add meat and remaining ingredients.
 Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally...yummm


Cheese Filling:
2 cartons of ricotta cheese
1 1/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp pepper
1 egg
1/2 c finely chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
Combine these ingredients and mix well.

And finally:
1 lb lasagna noodles cooked until just tender
16 oz mozzarella cheese, grated
Layer in pan starting with some sauce, noodles, filling and cheese. Repeat ending with cheese.
Cover with foil bake in preheated oven at 350 F for 25 min
Remove foil and bake uncovered for another 25 min.

Pictures taken by helpful hunny/sieu chef. He recently got his new baby named 7D and he is the best videographer around. He's not bad at taking stills either, and he makes my blog much happier. :-D


Print this recipe

Post a Comment