Poppy Seed Chicken

This has become a famous dish at the Atkins household, passed down from Mama Omi. It is one of our favorites and never gets old. Actually, it was the first meal I made for Stuart when we were dating...awwwww...and now he can't get enough of it. If you're a picky eater, give this one a try. There are several variations of this recipe out there, perhaps you have your own. I love to make it when people join us for dinner. Easy. Yummy. Makes great leftovers.

This is Blake, Victoria, and Macey enjoying some PSC...they're pretty awesome. 



Ingredients
4-6 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of celery soup
8 ounces sour cream
1 stick melted butter
1-2 stacks Ritz crackers, crushed
1 stick of butter
2 Tbsp poppy seeds

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 F. After you cook and cut up the chicken, put it in the bottom of a 9x13 dish. Mix together soups and sour cream; spread on top of the chicken. Stir together the melted butter, crushed crackers, and poppy seeds. Spread that on top of the chicken. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.


Serve over hot rice and with some veggie sides. I usually like to make it with broccoli or green beans and a salad.  So what do you think? Do you have your own variation of this simple casserole? Let me know!

The best part about this meal....Stuart can make it too!! I'm so proud. 

Print this recipe

Michelle –  (June 9, 2011 at 6:21 PM)  

Hey, I know this is sort of an old post, but I wanted to comment anyway. My Dad used to make this for my brother & I when we were growing up, almost exactly the same recipe- it was our favorite!
Now we are in our late twenties & both vegetarians. Dad has improvised over the years, and now makes it with chunks of zucchini & yellow squash instead of the chicken & it is delicious. The best part (other than the Ritz crackers) is you don't have to pre-cook anything! It just takes longer to bake, & you have to cover the top until near the end so the crackers don't burn.
I have also tried making it substituting mushrooms, garlic & herbs- it is a lot like a stroganoff.

Post a Comment